O'neill Malaysia "Surf" Brand Ambassador


I was given the opportunity to interview one of the top surfer girl from Asian Surfing Championship (ASC) and also the brand ambassador for O'neill Malaysia  " Nur Hawani a.k.a Wani", who recently won 2nd place in the Asian Surfing Championship sanctioned event in Desaru, Johor against some of the top Asian female surfers in the region. 

1. Wani, tell us a little more about yourself.
- I'm a laidback person, a cat lover, a cinematographer for living and I'm a surf addict :) I'm currently representing O'neill Malaysia as their brand Ambassador.

2. Why did you choose this sport of surfing?
- The fun & thrill of it. The excitement starts even before I'm in the water surfing, it starts from checking the swell forecast, the anticipation while getting to the beach, and seeing the line up from afar. It never gets boring, I never know what the ocean will throw at me. It can be the same surf spot but the condition; tide, wind, wave heights is ever changing. I would be super stoked after riding few good waves. Surfing is really addictive.

3. Tell me about your first time surfing the waves. When, where and with who?
- Back in 1997 in Sunway Lagoon with my sister; Fuzi and our friend Kanesh. 1st time surfing the sea was in 1998 in Kijal.

4. What did your parents say when you first took up surfing? were they nervous?
- Yeah, they were concern of my safety; surfing the sea, midnight drive to East Coast etc. 

5. At which point did you know surfing was going to be more than a hobby for you?
 - When I tried every possible way to escape to go surfing. I quit my job once to dedicate the whole monsoon to surf.

6. How do you possibly fit in your time for work and surf as there is only 4 months of waves in Malaysia? How do you budget your timing for everything?
- I work in a production line so I pretty have my work schedule planned ahead. Its not a 9-5 job so my timing is also more flexible, if I couldn't travel to EC during weekend, I'd go during weekdays when its good. And during non-monsoon I'd travel out.

7. what do you think you would want to be if you weren't a surfer?
- Mmmm..not sure I would probably want to travel more.

8. How did your sponsor approach you to be their brand ambassador for surfing? 
World of Sports Malaysia Marketing Communications Manager approached me through his friend who has my husband's FB. They asked me to send my profile and I got it! I'm super stoked about it and i would like to take this opportunity to thank my sponsor O'neill Malaysia for being supportive and looking forward for a wonderful year with them.

9. Being a girl, how do you keep your skin protected spending so many hours in the sun & saltwater?
Regularly apply SPF30. After surf hydrate it with After Sun and Vitamin E lotion.

10. What is your advice for the girls who want to pick up surfing, a sport which is dominated by the guys?
- Do not feel intimidated by other surfers, mix around with them so you can be more motivated and learn faster too. 

11. Tell me more about your homebreak & fav. surf spot?
- Cherating point has amazing long lefthander breaks, the lineup can get pretty crowded on good days.  I always enjoy Kijal beach break during early monsoon when its less windy. Chendor when its working has solid waves but pretty hard to access without 4wd.
- Fav Surf Spot : Cherating, Kijal, Berawa, Kuta Reef, Echo Beach 


12. A few words about surfing in Malaysia?
-  It's getting more popular and the community has definitely grown bigger. What I feel we're lacking now is new generation of groms and female surfers :)

13.which surfer inspire you the most? 
Layne Beachley & Bethany Hamilton. 

14. What do you do during your time off? 
- Hang out with friends n family, Skate, Yoga.

15. How is it feel like when you won 2nd place at the ASC sanctioned event in Desaru this January?
-  It feels good. I wasn't very lucky in ASC year 2011, so winning 2nd was a great start for 2012 for me .

16. Surf Stance, Surfboard Size, Shaper...
Surf Stance: RegularSurfboard Size: 5' 11 - Webber, 5'6 Luke Studer

17. Any words for the newbies out there or anyone who is keen to pick up surfing?
- Its best to start with a lesson. Get a suitable surfboard to begin with and make sure to know the surfing rules to safe you from any trouble.

Alrite, Thanks alot for your time and hope to see more action from you soon and good luck with your ASC event this year. Looking forward to hear from you soon.....cheers,

1 comment: